Legal Experience That Stands Out
Melissa is an accomplished litigator representing companies and individuals in partnership disputes, contract disputes, restrictive covenants, protection of trade secrets, and other business torts. She has also defended private and public employers in federal and state court in claims involving discrimination and wrongful discharge. Melissa counsels employers on employment agreements, handbooks, and separation agreements, and conducts workplace investigations. Melissa represents ERISA plan fiduciaries and administrators of employer-sponsored welfare benefit plans. On the transactional side, Melissa works with entrepreneurs and business owners on formation, dissolution, sales, real estate transactions, and general business matters.
Melissa has a deep history of public service. She served on the Whitpain Township Board of Supervisors for six years, including as chairman, and was elected to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, where she served for two years. Early in her career, Melissa was an Assistant District Attorney in Montgomery County, where she served as lead counsel on several homicide/death-penalty jury trials. A long-time member of the Montgomery Bar Association, Melissa serves on its Board of Directors and co-chairs the Government Relations Committee. She also serves on the Board of Directors for Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Association and is active coaching her children in soccer, field hockey, and lacrosse.
Melissa has earned a reputation as a passionate and energetic team player. In college, she earned All-American honors and was twice elected captain of Denison University’s nationally ranked women’s lacrosse team. In law school, Melissa was appointed vice-president of the Moot Court Honor Society Board. and was selected by her professors to argue before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Obtained summary judgment for employer/plan administrator and insurer in ERISA wrongful denial and breach of fiduciary duty action by former employee.
- Obtained injunction against former employees for financial institution protecting its confidential and proprietary information.
- Trial counsel for a Western Pennsylvania municipality accused of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act in its zoning practices.
- Obtained judgment for a hospital in a breach of contract action filed by a former physician.
- Represented a real estate development company and its managing member in a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty action alleging a misallocation of profits.
- Advised an accounting firm in a business acquisition including negotiating financing documents and consultant agreements.