Our highly skilled attorneys currently include a former Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice and United States District Court Judge, litigators described by the Legal Intelligencer as among the “three most feared heavyweights in the Philadelphia legal community;” a litigator repeatedly selected by the Philadelphia bar and the Philadelphia Magazine as one of Philadelphia’s “leading commercial litigators”, twenty-four lawyers voted by their peers as Pennsylvania SuperLawyers or “Rising Stars”, seven of the Top 100 lawyers and two of the top 50 women lawyers in Pennsylvania as voted by their peers, Senior Members of the Pennsylvania State Senate, members of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, General Counsel to the Hispanic National Bar Association, a former EPA Regional Counsel and former chief counsel to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources. Some of our former attorneys include the late Governor of Pennsylvania, Robert P. Casey, the Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania, a member of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit who was also Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania and a Judge on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Our winning professional skills respond effectively to the needs of our clients throughout Pennsylvania, Delaware, the region and nationally. We are highly experienced in complex commercial matters and major litigations. Our size, streamlined structure, and technological proficiency, offers clients effective, economical and successful legal representation.
Elliott Greenleaf provides creative and economic business solutions to legal challenges confronting a wide variety of clients, including Fortune 500 companies, governmental entities and agencies, entrepreneurs, privately held businesses, individuals, trade associations, labor unions ,financial institutions and non-profit organizations.
Our diverse practice includes federal and state court trial and appellate litigation concerning health care, constitutional issues affecting business and government, contracts, commercial bankruptcy, environmental, insurance, employment, ERISA, federal Civil Rights litigations, employment and disability law, banking, financial services, antitrust, class actions, mass torts, corporate and securities law, construction, patent litigation and trade secret regulatory and administrative matters (including government contracts, health and insurance), products liability, tax, bankruptcy, franchise, trademark and trade secrets, corporate control, white collar criminal, RICO law and grand juries.
We approach our responsibilities and our clients’ challenges efficiently, economically and successfully. Our team approach allows us to quickly marshal effective resources to respond to our clients’ needs and to create business opportunities. For example, our lawyers have recently:
- Won the largest non-jury legal malpractice verdict in Philadelphia County, as recognized for its importance in the Philadelphia Legal Intelligencer as a major verdict of 2007 relating to commercial transactions
- In an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals, won a unanimous reversal of a trial court jury instruction which, as found by the Court of Appeals, mistakenly defined the rights of a statutory class of employees to wages.
- Won a Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision defining “standing” for community groups challenging valid government actions.
- Won a complete defense jury verdict in a multi-million dollar federal civil rights action for one of the largest county governments in the country and its elected officials;
- Won the largest single plaintiff age discrimination jury verdict in the history of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania;
- Won a federal court injunction against Inside Edition’s tabloid journalists’ stalking and invasions of privacy (the first injunction against media tortfeasors since Jacqueline Kennedy’s against the paparazzi in the 1970′s Galalla case);
- Won a multi-million dollar settlement and then a jury verdict in federal court, affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, against a voting machine distributor and manufacturer;
- Won a total defense jury verdict successfully defending governmental officials against alleged multi-million dollar compensatory and punitive damages in a federal civil rights litigation brought by a disgruntled developer;
- Won a United States Court of Appeals’ First Amendment victory for a public agency against a disgruntled executive employee that established the currently articulated legal standard for termination of policy making or policy implementing employees;
- Won a federal court jury verdict including punitive damages and attorneys’ fees against borrowers who fraudulently induced loans;
- On behalf of senior citizen annuity purchasers in forty-five states, resolved a national class action against a multi-million dollar international corporation involving annuity sales and accounting practices, including obtaining monetary and equitable relief for the senior citizens;
- As sole class counsel for two certified nationwide class actions under the federal WARN Act, we won substantial federal court settlements against a multi-billion dollar global corporation, after having successfully established in the trial court, and successfully upheld thereafter in the United States Court of Appeals, new precedent on crucial issues of first impression under the WARN Act;
- On behalf of a publicly traded company, fully resolved insurance claims in excess of $30 million after the insurance carrier refused payment;
- After trial, won a defense verdict for a corporation against a multi-million dollar claim for breach of an agreement to build an anchor store in a shopping center, and then won hundreds of thousands of dollars through a verdict in the counterclaim;
- After trial, won a judgment for principals of a financial services firm and the dismissal of all claims brought by a competing firm alleging usurpation of accounts and employees;
- In several orphans’ court cases, we have defeated challenges to clients’ rights to receive multi-million dollar estates proceeds;
- Won a multi-million dollar antitrust settlement for a health care client;
- Protected an insurance company against rehabilitation;
- Vindicated the rights of corporate officers in insurance company liquidations;
- Creatively restructured debt for financial institutions;
- Recaptured assets for federal and state agencies;
- Won summary judgment for a bi-state governmental agency in a $120 million civil rights and antitrust lawsuit;
- Won a motion to dismissing a national telecommunications company from a §1983 action;
- Upon retrial, won jury verdicts for two health care executives who had previously suffered jury verdicts of compensatory and punitive damages when represented by a large Philadelphia law firm;
- Won summary judgment for governmental officials accused of civil rights violations;
- After discovery, compelled the withdrawal of employment bias charges against a Fortune Fifty corporation;
- Won a substantial settlement in a professional liability suit involving an attorney’s malpractice and breaches of fiduciary duty;
- Won the largest judgment in the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court ‘s original jurisdiction history, $46 million for educationally handicapped children;
- Successfully defended the Pennsylvania Banking Commissioner and regulators against claims arising from takeovers of lending institutions;
- Defeated RICO attacks on governmental officials, individuals, unions and businesses;
- Won appellate court rulings against an improper takeover assault against a major health system;
- Won a multi-million dollar federal court settlement during trial for a bank against a major international investment banking firm;
- Defeated efforts to remove management from the ownership and control of multi-million dollar real estate assets;
- Obtained an injunction in the Pennsylvania Supreme Court preventing the removal of corporate ownership without full compliance with Pennsylvania ‘s Corporation Code;
- Won qui tam and federal false claims act awards;
- and contributed professional services to a variety of pro bono community, civic, charitable and professional causes.
Elliott Greenleaf is keenly aware that today’s complex and rapidly changing business environment requires winning team work committed to making the extra effort. Accordingly, our problem-solving counsel emphasizes a pragmatic approach to timely creating economically successful results. Our clients enjoy the delivery of comprehensive legal services without having to bear the costly inefficiencies often associated with larger firms. We are aware that most legal disputes have non-legal business effects that impact significantly on a client’s business. In creating practical solutions to legal and business challenges, we share our clients’ concern with the bottom line.
We have efficiently organized the delivery of legal services from our offices strategically located throughout the region (Blue Bell, Philadelphia, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and Wilmington, Delaware) with a diverse and modern support staff and state-of-the-art technology to economically and effectively serve our clients’ needs throughout the region. Our highly trained professionals, lawyers, legal assistants, secretaries, staff and administrative team are a key part of our practice. Your interests are recognized and respected.
We respect your needs; appreciate your confidence in us; and are available to meet with you to review your concerns.